Monday, June 16, 2008

Please Pray for Us Tonight

Please pray for us, friends. It has been a hard day in the Dees/ Roebuck household today.

My mom's hair started falling out in clumps today. I know it might seem like with everything else she's been hit with in the last few weeks, this shouldn't be that big of a deal. But it is. Her hair falling out is the first undeniable, unignorable sign that something seriously wrong is going on here. My mom is not okay. People who are okay do not spontaneously lose all their hair.

At the advice of several other people who have walked this path, mom decided to go ahead and shave her head tonight and deal with the trauma all at once instead of strand by strand. Today has been her most difficult day since she found out she has cancer. She has probably shed more tears today than during the last three weeks combined. And I'll admit that I am weak– the sight of her hurting cuts me to the core. Sometimes it really hurts to love.

As if the emotional trauma of my mom's hair falling out wasn't enough, Max is really, really ill today. I won't go into details, but tonight was one of those nights where we were debating about whether he needs to go to the hospital because his eye is swelling up and almost swollen shut and he's still running a really high fever. Lucas is in Idaho. My parents have had a hard day. Maximus just keeps crying and saying in a weak voice, "I'm so sorry, momma. I'm so sorry my eye hurts." And then he barfs on everything, I start the washer again, and we gear up for a long night.

This is not the way it's supposed to be.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Cherissa,

I'm so sorry. I wish I could run right over there right now and help you. We will continue praying for you guys. I left a comment for your mom about her hair yesterday. I know that has to break your heart to see her hurting.

Wish I could come give you a huge hug and do a load of laundry for you. Please keep us updated on Maximus.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of and loving you guys!

-tina

the schilps said...

oh rissa, pain. i just hear pain. i am so sorry. i too wish i could scoop up your laundry and the vom and wash it all away. i love you, friend. i pray with you constantly.
abbe

Liz said...

Cherissa! I have been reading your blog and I have been thinking about you and your family. I am here in town and free most evenings after work. If there is anything that I can do (babysit, laundry, cook a meal, whatever) PLEASE call me. Jason and I are both night owls, so don't ever be afraid to call late at night either. I am praying for you now, even as I write this.

Love you! Liz Herron (220-8899)

John and Janel Breitenstein said...

Oh, we hurt for you. What a painful, painful time.

John told me the other day after a long day, "You can't outgive God." I wonder if that means in hair, too! She has given this, and every hair on her head, to the One who knows how many she has (or doesn't). May He give back what the locusts have eaten...!

We love you.

Janel